[Cerowrt-devel] Open Source RRM & Hand-Over Optimization (WAS: Throughput regression with `tcp: refine TSO autosizing`)

David Lang david at lang.hm
Mon Feb 2 18:27:02 EST 2015

On Mon, 2 Feb 2015, Avery Pennarun wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 11:44 AM, Björn Smedman <bs at anyfi.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 5:21 AM, Avery Pennarun <apenwarr at google.com> wrote:
>>> While there is definitely some work to be done in handoff, it seems
>>> like there are some find implementations of this already in existence.
>>> Several brands of "enterprise access point" setups seem to do well at
>>> this.  It would be nice if they interoperated, I guess.
>>>
>>> The fact that there's no open source version of this kind of handoff
>>> feature bugs me, but we are working on it here and the work is all
>>> planned to be open source, for example: (very early version)
>>> https://gfiber.googlesource.com/vendor/google/platform/+/master/waveguide/
>>
>> We've got an SDN-inspired architecture with 802.11 frame tunneling (a
>> la CAPWAP), airtime fairness, infrastructure initiated hand-over,
>> Opportunistic Key Caching (OKC), IEEE 802.11r Fast BSS Transition and
>> a few more goodies. It's currently free as in beer
>> (http://anyfi.net/software,
>> https://github.com/carrierwrt/carrierwrt/pull/7 and
>> http://www.anyfinetworks.com/download) up to 100 APs, but we're
>> definitely going to open source in one form or another.

Please keep in touch, when it is released open source I'd be very interested in
trying it for SCaLE. I'll probably exceed your 100 radio free limit this year,
and it's hard to justify using non-free code at a linux conference (not
impossible, but not something I'm going to try to do 3 weeks before the show :-)

I'm doing social engineering to push people to the 5GHz network (SSID for 5G is
scale, for 2.4 is scale-slow), it would be great to be able to do this directly.
And better handoffs as people move around would be good.

It would also be good if something like this could help identify gaps in
coverage. If it can identify cases where users go from having coverage to poor
connectivity to having coverage, we can manually investigate to see where in the
building that is and see what we can do to fix it.

David Lang