[Cerowrt-devel] uptime?

David Lang david at lang.hm
Fri Feb 6 16:10:24 EST 2015

As a sysadmin, I will say that uptime (time since last boot) as a metric is
EVIL, it leads to people avoiding important updates and also drives people into
implementing horribly complex and dangerous things to avoid resetting the update
number

downtime is a much better metric as it can be qualified to exclude deliberate
updates and external factors like power outages. As Dave says, a router
rebooting at 3am is not going to bother very many people, but a hang that
requires a manual reboot at 2pm is going to be 1000x worse.

measuring downtime can be hard, do you count it down if anything is broken or
only if everything is broken (neither is really the right answer, but how do you
quantify the impact of being partially down??)

Improving boot time is always a nice thing to do, but there is a point of
diminishing returns. When you start you end up fixing some real issues, and
usually end up finding things that improve ongoing operation. But after a while
you get to much harder things and the result matters far less. If it takes 10
minutes to boot, you boot and go do something else, cutting this by 50% is a
huge win. But if you take 10 seconds to boot, cutting it to 5 seconds won't make
a noticable difference (especially if this doesn't count the 20 seconds the BIOS
takes before it hands control off to our software :-)

So, some tools to measure downtime, and some ability to flag downtime in a small
handful of categories would be good. I see the useful categories as

1. external outage (power, ISP, etc)
2. planned reboots for upgrades
3. admin action (could be combined with external outages)
4. everything else

and then we should concentrate on the last group

It may be useful to modify LUCI so that on the login page there is a 'report
outage' link that lets someone either add a reason to an existing outage, or
report a partial outage (like the dnsmasq or dhcp issues) along with a few
categories of severity (dead, severe impact, minor impact) and then have a 'are
you willing to have this information reported' toggle to have it phone home with
this data.

thoughts?

David Lang