[Cerowrt-devel] Two d-link products tested for bloat...

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 21:04:00 EST 2015

I ordered a d-link DGL-5500 from amazon this week. It arrived today.
This is their almost top of the line 802.11ac router.

Their streamboost QoS feature - the first thing you see on their
configuration page - LOVELY gui, actually! - was entirely broken in
the uplink direction.

Admittedly that was the first generation firmware. I know how hard it
is to get that right. So I tried to update it. My attempt to update
the firmware for it from their website, bricked it. And it appears the
only way to update it, or to update it to openwrt, is via a gui, not
tftp.

ok.... so...

In an orgy of giving companies that don´t deserve my money, money,
I also got the DIR-860L. It was the "A1" model, which of course, has
no support in openwrt, and there is no way to figure out if an online
retailer is selling the entirely different B model or not.

Their version of the QoS system was entirely broken in *both
directions*. While I was mildly happy that it used weighted fair
queuing by default, bandwidth limitation failed to work *at all*,
except, that it did classify CS1 traffic, as *higher* priority than
best effort.

So in both cases, no matter what you did, even if you tried to do the
right thing... you had bufferbloat induced on the next hop (if, I was
trying to actually test this on a cablemodem or dsl link)

I would really to flush this crap from the marketplace, and the only
way left, I think, is to stop being a nice guy.

My problem is, that I really am a nice guy, and the only way I could
possibly do that is put on a persona, do a blog, call it something
like the angry engineer, or something like that.

But I am pretty sure that venom I would have to summon on a daily
basis would be bad for my blood pressure. Maybe we could all get
together on it, and only raise our collective BP by a point or three
each? The Avenging Engineers?

the relevant netperf-wrapper data is in each of these dirs:

http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~d/DIR-860L/dir-860L-bandwidth-broke-in-both-directions.png

http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~d/dgl-5500/totalfailure-to-control-the-upload.png

thttp://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/Upcoming_Talks