[Cerowrt-devel] [Bloat] Two d-link products tested for bloat...

dpreed at reed.com dpreed at reed.com
Fri Feb 20 12:20:47 EST 2015

+1 for this idea.  It really worked for Anand's and Tom's - their reviews caught fire and got followed so much that they could become profitable businesses from the ads.

Craigslist style business model, funding both reviewing and CeroWRT promotion activities would be the logical thing.  And I love the names! (free + some premium service that doesn't compromise the purity and freeness of the reviews)...

Thoughts on the premium service that might go with this:

1) some kind of "support service" that links people with skilled support for WiFi in their area (for a percentage on each referral)

2) Premium insider news  content (like LWN.net, which I subscribe to at the professional level, because it is so great).

The point of this is not to maximize the likelihood of buyout for billions of dollars.  I don't oppose that outcome, but it is tricky to aim for that goal without compromising the review (and news if there) quality.  You don't want "vendor sponsorship".  You might want early access to upcoming products, as long as it is on your own terms and not a way of letting vendors buy your integrity, which they would certainly attempt.

I don't normally do this, but I would contribute content at a modest level - and I'm sure others would.  The key missing feature is an editor (e.g. Jonathan Corbet, Michael Swaine, Doc Searls, .. - that type of editor, not necessarily those people).