[Cerowrt-devel] Just FYI: WNDR3700 (v2???) refurbs available on Amazon for USD49.99

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 13:44:52 EST 2015

Good to know. I have to admit that my own development has mostly moved
to open chaos calmer, which supports a metric ton of commonly
available platforms, include (now) all the 3700 series including the
v4, and also (finally) the 4300 series, and all of these are available
new for under 90 bucks, and there are multiple other non-netgear
brands in the same price range also supported by openwrt. The
sqm-scripts and related bufferbloat tools have more polish now in
chaos calmer than in the stable version of cerowrt.

The nightly builds of chaos calmer for these platforms and slightly
more advanced ones like the archer c7 v2 are pretty darn good, and I
recommend at present that people follow those.

http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/

zillions of of possible platforms there outside of netgear and the
ath9k based stuff we currently use.

But: if anyone cares and wants to try cake or some more advanced
fq_codel models, they are welcome to try any product from my current
build: http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~cero3/ubnt/ar71xx/ - but
that is just openwrt + those new queuing models + some wifi fixes
ongoing and I have no interest or time for long term support at the
moment and ghu help you if you try to use it day-to-day.

from that last build, tested by me thus far are the ubnt nanostation
and wndr3700v2 and archer (archer has some problems)

Cake needs some love, although I certainly like being able to just do a:

tc qdisc add dev eth1 root cake bandwidth 50mbit besteffort

and then be able to do:

tc qdisc change dev eth0 root cake bandwidth 10mbit

rather than all the scripting we had to do to make htb work in sqm
scripts - but it does not do atm right, nor is anyone happy with the
diffserv functionality.

I DO love cake's output

http://pastebin.com/bX5njmkr

The above patchset also has the very nice minstrel-blues coupled rate
+ power controller and andrew mcgregor's latest minstrel patches to
optimize for minimum variance.

But really core to future progress is getting a working implementation
of per station wifi queues and that is going to take a lot more work.
And not enough funding has landed to actually do another cerowrt-scale
effort, as yet.

I am actually using the 4300 as my day-in, day-out router now, and
will probably switch to the archer c7 v2 once some issues with the
ethernet and ath10k are resolved. (we are only getting 100mbit out of
it for some reason)

On the higher end, I have a linksys product, a buffalo product, and a
d-link product sitting in a box awaiting time for me to flash....

I would certainly like to find a 30 dollar product worth working on.

We will hopefully get around to a cerowrt refresh fairly soon - as
soon as some more test code lands - and do it on several platforms.
Until then, try chaos calmer - and for all I know we will end up
building more on openwrt directly this time rather than repeating all
the stuff that openwrt won't take upstream that is presently in
cerowrt.

I am not happy with netgear the company and plan to work with several
other vendors on the next go-round.

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 10:15 AM, Frank Horowitz <frank at horow.net> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Amazon is listing WNDR3700 refurbs for sale on 1 March for USD49.99: < http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085WVQDK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1> Based on the stated 680 MHz processor speed, I am inferring that these are v2. refurbs. (Only v1. and v2 had those speeds.)
>
> I’ve ordered one and will report back what version it actually is when it arrives next week.
>
> (Just in case you wanted a spare test router…)
>
> Cheers,
>         Frank Horowitz

Let's make wifi fast, less jittery and reliable again!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107942175615993706558/posts/TVX3o84jjmb