[Cerowrt-devel] Just FYI: WNDR3700 (v2???) refurbs available on Amazon for USD49.99

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 22:27:14 EST 2015

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 6:07 PM, David Lang <david at lang.hm> wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2015, Dave Taht wrote:
>
>> We will hopefully get around to a cerowrt refresh fairly soon - as
>> soon as some more test code lands - and do it on several platforms.
>> Until then, try chaos calmer - and for all I know we will end up
>> building more on openwrt directly this time rather than repeating all
>> the stuff that openwrt won't take upstream that is presently in
>> cerowrt.
>

> you may have posted this and I'm just not remembering, but do you have a
> list of what's in CeroWRT that OpenWRT won't take upstream (and any info on
> why they won't take the items)?
>
> Daivd Lang

* Unbridged interfaces - routing only
* Device Naming by function rather than type
* More open to ipv6 firewall
* Firewall using device pattern matching to avoid O(n) complexities in
firewall rules
* Babels on and preconfigured by default
* Oddball IP address range and /27 subnets
* Polipo Web proxy
* Samba by default
* Faster web server
* Weird port for the configuration web server
* Pre-enabled wifi and wifi mesh interfaces
* Huge amount of alternate qdiscs (like pie, ns2_codel, cake, cake2, etc)

And:

A build that includes all these things by default.

I note there are a couple nice "super-duper" builders of openwrt that
have WAY more features that ever made it into cerowrt. Although I
forget their names, they have their advocates on the openwrt forums.
(and both include sqm)
I have long meant to eval those and maybe hope to convince them to be
the next buildmaster for this project - the day to day grind of doing
a build, testing it, etc, was killing me - and y'all. Much better to
have it get filtered through someone else.....

Let's make wifi fast, less jittery and reliable again!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107942175615993706558/posts/TVX3o84jjmb