[Cerowrt-devel] SInce I mentioned this crew's work in a post, I don't want anyone to be surprised.

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 14:37:30 EST 2015

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 9:26 AM,  <dpreed at reed.com> wrote:
> GoGo does not need to run “Man in the Middle Attacks” on YouTube

re: http://www.reed.com/blog-dpr/?p=174

I amplified via g+ and mentioned to slashdot.
(http://slashdot.org/submission/4107907/gogo-airline-network-blocks-youtube-when-they-could-just-fix-their-bufferbloat
)  I don't use reddit, but if someone here wants to hit this topic
there, perhaps it will help.

I am very perturbed by the https interception stuff and agree that
they should fix their bufferbloat instead! So should amtrak and other
services trying to provide general useful email and web services when
they too have limited bandwidth... in an age where people want dancing
cat videos on the move and are completely ignorant of the hit on the
network that induces.

I have quite a few benchmarks of Gogo in flight. They all suck. I
think the best deployable solution would require reworking their
satellite uplink management to be available bandwidth aware...
although I think they could get quite a lot of mileage out of merely
rate limiting and fq_codeling at the airplane itself.

I note that we have not extensively tested fq_codel at the latencies
typically experienced here and probably should!

I also tend to wish that streaming video had got it's own control port
rather than being layered over 80 and 443.

lastly... I do appreciate very much your mention of me, but if you
could expand that bit to say any of the bufferbloat crew - all of us
seem to be looking for work, or distracted by other work. In my case I
am mostly now distracted by non-bufferbloat related, but paid work.

The fact that I still have to rattle a tin cup to fix bufferbloat at
this point is quite bothersome. With such an epidemic of a problem I
really thought the world would have beat a path to our doors long,
long ago, and/or start leveraging the plethora of information and code
we have put online to go forth and deploy bufferbloat solutions,
especially in extreme cases like aircraft, access in the third world,
and in remote areas. Certainly the ubnt userbase jumped all over
fq_codel...

thttp://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/Upcoming_Talks