[Cerowrt-devel] Recording RF management info _and_ associated traffic?

David Lang david at lang.hm
Sun Jan 25 22:19:35 EST 2015

On Sun, 25 Jan 2015, Dave Taht wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 6:43 PM, David Lang <david at lang.hm> wrote:
>> On Sun, 25 Jan 2015, Dave Taht wrote:
>>
>>> To your roaming point, yes this is certainly one place where migrating
>>> bridged vms across machines breaks down, and yet more and more vm
>>> layers are doing it. I would certainly prefer routing in this case.
>>

>> What's the difference between "roaming" and moving a VM from one place in
>> the network to another?
>
> I think most people think of "roaming" as moving fairly rapidly from one
> piece of edge connectivity to another, and moving a vm is a great deal more
> permanent operation.

There are two different types of roaming.

You have the case like I deal with at SCaLE where you are moving within one
network (within one site)

Then you have the case where you are moving between sites.

within one site, roaming and migrating VMs are pretty much the same problem and
handling it at layer2 makes a lot of sense (how frequently the migrations
happen, and how permanent they are varies, both for wifi nodes and VMs)

David Lang