[Cerowrt-devel] wrt1900ac v1 vs v2

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue Jul 7 02:09:40 EDT 2015

On Mon, 6 Jul 2015, John Yates wrote:

> There are refurbished wrt1900ac units available quite cheap ($10 or $20
> more than wrt1200ac).  I assume that they are v1 units as the v2 units have
> only been on the market for a few months.  From lurking on this list I get
> the sense that these will support full sqm in short order (correct?).
>
> So what are the differences between wrt1900ac v1 and v2?  Is there any
> reason to pay nearly $100 more for a v2?

v1 has Armada XP chipset which has packet accelerator HW in it that
OpenWrt doesn't use. v2 has Armada 385 which doesn't have a packet
accelerator, but instead has a much better CPU for forwarding packets.

So basically if you buy a v1 you'll get a third or so in forwarding
performance over the v2 with OpenWrt. With the Linksys firmware I could
imagine the v1 is faster than the v2. The v1 has a fan, v2 does not.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se