[Cerowrt-devel] failing to find the "declared victory" in a current wifi router

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Fri Jul 10 04:01:38 EDT 2015

Hi Joe,

On Jul 10, 2015, at 09:22 , Joe Touch <touch at isi.edu> wrote:

>> On Jul 10, 2015, at 12:03 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 7 Jul 2015, Joe Touch wrote:
>>>
>>> Some questions:

>>> How does that differ from mtd, e.g., as indicated here (which doesn't
>>> mention sysinstall)?:
>>> http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.uninstall
>>
>> http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt1200ac#how_to_flash_the_firmware_to_device
>>
>> "Revert to Linksys Stock Firmware"
>>
>> So you can either use the web ui or the "sysupgrade" command to go back to Stock firmware.
>
> I see the word "sysupgrade" only her, but that is in reference to the img type not the command :
>
> ----
> When flashing from OpenWrt, use the "sysupgrade" image. Although the factory image will work, the sysupgrade image has the fringe benefit of preserving the UBI container between flashes, which provides some wear-leveling.
> ----
>
> Can you explain where the info on using the sysupgrade command to revert to the factory image is??

	Have a look at:
1) http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.sysupgrade
and
2) http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/techref/sysupgrade
this should cover all your bases…

I would assume the following to work from your routers command line interface (so log in via ssh first):
On your client computer:
scp Stock_firmware_image root at your.router.name.or.ip-address:/tmp/firmware.bin
ssh root at your.router.name.or.ip-address
On your router:
cd /tmp
/sbin/sysupgrade -d 60 -v -n ./firmware.bin

(the -d will delay the reboot for 60 seconds giving you time to read the output, the -v will increase the verbosity to help debugging in case of failure, and the -n will not attempt to conserve your setting through the sysupgrade, which will not work for a revert to the link sys image anyway).

Best Regards
	Sebastian