[Cerowrt-devel] ingress rate limiting falling short

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Wed Jun 3 11:58:03 EDT 2015

Hi Aaron,

about the 5% loss with the wndr, please remember that the shaper works typically on raw Ethernet rates, while flent reports TCP good put I believe. So roughly 2 to 6 percent difference can be explained with a combination of the following overheads: PTM/ATM, ethernet, VLAN(s), PPPoE, IPv4/IPv6, TCP, potential TCP options like timestamps... Now flent might report actual tcp-rates and I am out to lunch, but I have a hard time reconciling  how flent/netperf, can actually learn about all the additional overhead... As far as I can tell all netperf sees is the payload it sends and the payload it receives...
Tl;dr: Overhead unknown to flent effortlessly explains why the TCP good put as reported by flent falls short of the shaped rate as that rate contains all overheads.

Best Regards
        Sebastian