[Cerowrt-devel] performance numbers from WRT1200AC (Re: Latest build test - new sqm-scripts seem to work; "cake overhead 40" didn't)

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue Jun 30 05:40:20 EDT 2015

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Jun 2015, Dave Taht wrote:
>
>> attached is a patch for that, put it in your
>> feeds/cero/kmod_sched_cake/patches
>> directory, rebuild (make package/kmod-sched-cake/{clean,compile,install})
>
> I compiled openwrt trunk with linux kernel v4.0 and this patch, and the
> results are here <http://swm.pp.se/aqm/rrul_150630-cake-l4.0-1.tar>.
>
> As far as I can tell sirq load is higher rather than lower so it doesn't seem
> like kernel 4.0 has any significant performance benefits, rather the
> opposite.

So it seems I was mistaken. I now did some tests, with 4.0 with the
cakepatch, with 3.18 with the cakepatch (that Dave sent the other day),
and then 3.18 with regular cake as it is in the ceropackages repo
yesterday.

The columns are mss size, -R or not means reverse, so with -R main packet
sizes are going in the server->client direction, ie flowing into eth0
which hosts the htb. Then it's the megabit/s as measured by iperf and then
the sirq load as seen by top. This jumps around a bit so don't read too
much into it. However, it looks like 4.0 is actually a slight improvement
especially for smaller packet sizes and in the server-client direction.

4.0 cakepatch

-M 200 -R   167 M 94%
-M 300 -R   188 M 71%
-M 600 -R   362 M 77%