[Cerowrt-devel] Build instructions for regular OpenWRT with Ceropackages

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue Jun 30 15:58:08 EDT 2015

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015, dpreed at reed.com wrote:

> What happens if the SoC ports aren't saturated, but the link is GigE?
> That is, suppose this is an access link to a GigE home or office LAN
> with wired servers?

As far as I can tell, the device looks like this:

wifi2------
wifi1----\|
 	SOC2 6-|
 	SOC1 5-|
 	WAN  4-|
 	LAN1 3-| (switch)
 	LAN2 2-|
 	LAN3 1-|
 	LAN4 0-|

LAN1-4 and SOC2 is in one vlan, and SOC1 and WAN is in a second vlan. This
basically means there is no way to get traffic into SOC1 that goes out
SOC2 that will saturate either port, because they're both gige. Only way
to saturate the SOC port would be if the SOC itself "created" traffic, for
instance by being a fileserver, or if there is significant traffic on the
wifi (which has PCI-E connectivity).

So it's impossible to congest SOC1 or SOC2 (egress) by running traffic
LAN<->WAN alone.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se