[Cerowrt-devel] [aqm] ping loss "considered harmful"

Dave Dolson ddolson at sandvine.com
Mon Mar 2 05:47:07 EST 2015

I'm rather new to the aqm community, but IMHO, it is wrong to deprioritize the ping traffic by default. I would not have expected a forwarding agent to do this.

And I think measuring ping times and loss is a reasonable thing to do, never expecting forwarding agents along the path to place more value on some IP packets than others. (Especially in my own network/lab when I did not configure such a policy)

There aren't many tools available to an end user. Ping, traceroute, speed test... The network is a black box to most users.

As for the flood attack aspect, of course a flood of pings should wait their turn in a queue and be dropped as the queue fills.

It would be appropriate if this was fair to different ping flows in the same way TCP SYN packets are treated fairly. Treat ping flood like TCP SYN flood.

My 2cents.
-Dave Dolson