[Cerowrt-devel] [aqm] ping loss "considered harmful"

Dave Dolson ddolson at sandvine.com
Mon Mar 2 15:33:56 EST 2015

Would you do that to TCP or UDP traffic?

At IETF I often hear laments about middle-boxes breaking the internet by being "clever" with certain types of traffic.
It seems that policing ICMP falls into that category.

There may have been bugs in the past, but I'm not aware that ICMP packets are any more dangerous than UDP or TCP. And if the RFCs can be believed, ICMPv6 is critical to determining Path-MTU. Don't drop those.

One may wish to rate-limit ICMP (or DNS or TCP) flows as a matter of network policy, but in my opinion this should be kept orthogonal to solving buffer bloat.

Taken to the extreme, a network should support full utilization of a link doing only ping. If I wish to use my connection to the internet to ping hosts at full line rate, why not?

David Dolson
Senior Software Architect, Sandvine Inc.