[Cerowrt-devel] CeroWrt bits not in OpenWrt (renamed thread)

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 12:43:35 EDT 2015

We're espousing the proposition that OpenWrt BB and later is a worthy successor to our beloved - and wicked reliable - CeroWrt 3.10.50-1. (See, for example, "CeroWrt Triumphs over Bufferbloat" at http://www.bufferbloat.net/news/ )

I just tried this out myself, and the initial experience isn't good/well-documented/easy enough for ordinary people who want it to "just work".

I snagged a TP-Link Archer C7 for $89 on Amazon (so I'd be working with a router that has a little more availability), and installed BB 14.07. I configured it as a secondary router (DHCP on the WAN port). So far, so good - it seems to pass packets, etc.

But a lot of the "special sauce" of CeroWrt seems to be missing. Specifically:

- BB seems to have bloat, and I don't understand how to install and configure the QoS/SQM scripts. (And is there a Luci GUI?)

- It's slick to have Guest and Secure networks

- I miss mDNS naming

- I haven't tried it, but would want to have smooth instructions for native IPv6 and/or IPV6 tunneling

I'm (personally) less concerned about these facilities, but would love to document how to make them work out of the box:

- Routing the interfaces instead of bridging them
- Babel mesh routing
- DNSSEC

 I'm willing to write up and publish the details. I'll also create a script similar to the ones in /usr/lib/CeroWrtScripts so it's easy to make the changes systematically. But I'd like hints for what is required to make these configuration changes. Many thanks.

Rich