[Cerowrt-devel] DOCSIS 3+ recommendation?

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Wed Mar 18 04:06:12 EDT 2015

Hi David,

On March 18, 2015 5:34:30 AM GMT+01:00, "David P. Reed" <dpreed at reed.com> wrote:
>It is not the cable modem itself that is bufferbloated. It is the head
>end working with the cable modem. Docsis 3 has mechanisms to avoid
>queue buildup but they are turned on by the head end.

        I seem to recall that even on egress charter cable showed multiples hundred of bufferbloat, so I would argue that even at docs is 3.0 the modems might be over buffered or under-AQM'd. The head end certainly is another problem...

>I don't know for sure but I believe that the modem itself cannot
>measure or control the queueing in the system to minimize latency.

        I believe this is supposed to happen with docs is 3.1 where PIE is mandatory in the modems. Now whether the ISPs will activate it or not I do not know.

Best Regards
 sebastian