[Cerowrt-devel] DOCSIS 3+ recommendation?

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 13:14:58 EDT 2015

> On 19 Mar, 2015, at 19:04, Michael Richardson <mcr at sandelman.ca> wrote:
>
> Jim Gettys <jg at freedesktop.org> wrote:
>> Moral 1: anything not tested by being used on an ongoing basis,
>> doesn't work.
>
>> Moral 2: Companies like Comcast do not (currently) control their own
>> destiny, since they outsourced too much of the technology to others.
>
> Moral 2 might be something that the C* suite types might actuall get.
> I don't know how to get that message there, though.

Be careful what you wish for: if the cable companies controlled the hardware more tightly, how much less experimentation would we be able to do?  The general hackability of your average CPE router is a benefit to our research efforts, even if the default configuration they come with is still utterly terrible.

 - Jonathan Morton