[Cerowrt-devel] another lowcost openwrt device

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 15:36:54 EDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 8:59 AM, Eric S. Johansson <esj at eggo.org> wrote:
> http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/03/29/a5-v11-mini-router-runs-openwrt-linux-for-just-8/

It is really hard to fit ipv6 and a gui into 4MB flash. Pick one.

the current winner, btw, for a low cost wifi device is the esp8266
chip, which people are programming in LUA!!? to do various IOt things.
I am told it is available for much less than 3 dollars in qty.

I recently met with the man behind digital-loggers.com  - they make
lots of neato devices, like the power controllers I use in every
remote location:

http://www.digital-loggers.com/epcr5.html

turns out that A) he was aware of bufferbloat - B) was deeply
concerned about updatability in the face of security problems - his
products are very remote updatable and hardened against attacks in
multiple ways, and C) has openwrt in that product above - all the
switch and power and video io is on an atmel, but the ethernet and
wifi are on a tiny atheros board....

... and he will probably be using the esp8266 in a string of new
products in the future.

I ended up buying an extra epc5 to play with, as I've really wanted
ipv6 on these things for the longest time.... and smokeping and
mrtg....

(I would really like to find a C or go or rust version of smokeping and mrtg)

Let's make wifi fast, less jittery and reliable again!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107942175615993706558/posts/TVX3o84jjmb