[Cerowrt-devel] Problems testing sqm

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 12:10:13 EDT 2015

I have a shiny new Linksys WRT1900ACS to test.

I thought it might be nice to start with some comparisons of factory
firmware vs OpenWRT with sqm enabled.

So I built and installed an openwrt trunk but the results were very
non-impressive.  Rrul test reported mulit-seconds of latency and it was
equally non-impressive with sqm enabled or disabled.  So I assumed that
sqm in trunk on this device must not work yet.  Then I wondered how well
sqm in trunk was tested and that perhaps its broken for all devices.

So I tested openwrt trunk on my Netgear 3700v2 and saw the same results.
Then I tried openwrt cc and got the same results.

Finally, I went to the reference implementation: cerowrt 3.10.50-1 on my
3700v2.  Same results.

So at this point I'm thinking there's a PEBKAC issue and I'm not really
turning it on.

Here's my enable procedure:

Go the sqm tab in the GUI and set egress and ingress to 10000, set the
interface to the upstream interface,  click enable, click save and
apply. Everything else is left at default. ie fq_codel and simple.qos.

I've also tried a reboot after enabling those settings and then gone
back to the gui to verify they were still set.

My test setup:

Laptop<--1000BaseT-->DUT<--1000baseT-->Server

I run netperf-wrapper -H Server -l 30 rrul and look at the 'totals' or
'all' plot.

If I run the above with this setup.

Laptop<--1000baseT-->Server

Then I get the expected 800-900Mbit/s with latencies < 15ms.  So I don't
think there's a problem with my test infrastructure.

What am I missing and or what's the next step in figuring out whats wrong?

--
Richard A. Smith