[Cerowrt-devel] [FCC] some comments from elsewhere on the lockdown

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Sep 30 16:51:36 EDT 2015

On Wed, 30 Sep 2015 16:11:38 -0400, Christopher Waid said:

> > Apparently, they were of the opinion that the mere fact that I might
> > die of a heart attack a year after distributing something doesn't
> > excuse me from complying.)
>
> I don't know if it does excuse you from complying, but I say good luck
> to the person trying to get it enforced.

They could quite possibly hassle the executor of my estate if they were
sufficiently determined.

But given that abandonware (both software and hardware) is a big chunk
of the problem, we really *do* need to address the problem of companies
that can't provide patches because they've gone under.  Possibly a
requirement that they open-source the hardware/software if possible?
(That's another can-o-worms - consider that a big chunk of why NVidia
doesn't open-source their proprietary graphics drivers is because there's
a lot of OpenGL-related patents and trade secrets that Microsoft bought when
there was the big fire sale when SGI got out of the graphics market - so
it's quite possible that a vendor *can't* open-source it when they go
under due to licensing issues...)