[Cerowrt-devel] Linksys wrt1900acs rrul traces
dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 13:48:16 EDT 2016
It was not in my opinion, "ready" for use as a full time router, as of
a few weeks ago. In particular, the wifi was intolerably buggy and
needed a reboot after heavy use. The ethernet side has got to
"usable", and things like cake are working ok. I am not working very
hard on it as I'm trying to swallow the ath10k fq_codel patches and
overall ath9k drivers as I write.
If your family can put up with it, more knowledgable users such as
yourself will find more bugs and get them fixed faster. ;)
I did pick up an edgerouter X the other day, it is kind of my hope to
get cake on that (somehow), and see how it does, and keep offloading
the wifi to another box entirely.
Let's go make home routers and wifi faster! With better software!
On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 10:42 AM, Aaron Wood <woody77 at gmail.com> wrote:
> These are really impressive results (flent graphs attached for the "simple"
> Especially so, considering to what I see with sqm_scripts on the same
> hardware with CCrc3:
> Is this stable enough for full-time usage (as a home router)?
> On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 6:58 AM, Richard Smith <smithbone at gmail.com> wrote:
>> A while ago I mentioned that I purchased a Linksys wrt1900acs and I was
>> going to do some comparisons of speed/rrul for stock firmware and stuff
>> running sqm.
>> It took a while to happen but I finally got it done. I was stalled for a
>> long time because for a while OpenWRT was not complete for this router. It
>> would boot but you could not (easily) return to the factory firmware as
>> updates via the OpenWRT web interface did not work.
>> Command line updates still worked though periodically I would build dd
>> head and see if it got fixed. Finally one weekend I decided to dig in and
>> figure out what was going wrong and discovered that someone else beat me to
>> it and it all was working now.
>> The following flent rrul runs were run here on my local Gbit network
>> (pretty quiet) using with OpenWrt Designated Driver r49051 / LuCI Master
>> (git-16.081.38806-6b9a743) + Cake installed.
>> Cake installed via the instructions here:
>> For these tests I had the inbound and outbound limits set to 975000 kbps.
>> 975000 was somewhat arbitrary. I wanted it below 1Gbps enough that I could
>> be sure it was the router as the limit but yet fast enough that I would be
>> able to see the peak transfer rates.
>> Test setup is:
>> Laptop<-->wrt1900acs<--->Gbit Switch<--->Netperf server
>> Prior to running the tests I did trial runs without the wrt1900acs in the
>> chain to verify every thing worked at Gbit speeds.
>> I ran the rrul test for each of the SQM settings at least 5 times. For
>> layer cake and piece of cake each had a run with results that were way off
>> from the previous run. I'm assuming this is some yet to be fixed issue and
>> so I ran it 1 more time so that there were 5 runs with similar results.
>> All the raw files are in this tarball:
>> Hope this is helpful. I'll be happy to run any additional tests if
>> someone wants more.
>> Richard A. Smith
>> Cerowrt-devel mailing list
>> Cerowrt-devel at lists.bufferbloat.net
> Cerowrt-devel mailing list
> Cerowrt-devel at lists.bufferbloat.net
More information about the Cerowrt-devel