[Cerowrt-devel] the real future of the internet starts with fixing todays internet

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 21:22:29 EDT 2016

I will put in a comment to the eu tomorrow. Michiel's rhetoric hit me
where I live. We gotta fix what we got.

from: https://nlnet.nl/people/leenaars/ec/

"... the European Commission is actually asking what it should do for
the future of the internet in a public consultation. That question
doesn't really get the attention it deserves on the EC website, but
there is quite serious money with the label "Next Generation Internet"
attached to it. At least 750 million euro, waiting to be put to good
use. Typically the EC expect a consultation like this to yield maybe
questions - like what "disruptive business models" there are, or if
there are "trends" we can "capitalize" on - may give you the wrong
impression. But they are in listening mode, and that means this is our
rare chance to speak out and let them know what the internet community
thinks needs to happen with this money.

If you do the math, you'll see that every one providing input more or
less justifies how an average 10 million euros will be spent. You see,
why your input really matters? What if we could put solving the issues
of ossification and the Snowden revelations, safe internet as the
number one priority? We desperately need a reliable and open internet
that scales well, has strong security and privacy guarantees and is
worthy of our trust. Without our clear signal, the money will probably
seep through the cracks - two decades and billions of Euro's of failed
funding have shown that the regular way of working with huge consortia
and projects working on fashionable 'innovations' has brought nothing
that stuck. The real future of the internet starts with fixing todays
internet."

I return now to watching the spacex landing for the 10th time.

https://www.gofundme.com/savewifi