[Cerowrt-devel] USB3 or HDMI ethernet? - Are wires dead?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 12:32:50 EDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 9:14 AM, Luis E. Garcia <luis at bitamins.net> wrote:
> I agree with Michael - wired Ethernet is very stable  compared with
> Wireless.
> In crowed places where everyone has a WiFi router - the WiFi will experience
> random drops.

Yes, but we are all geeks here. Has J.Random User internalized that
wifi can really suck for TV usage?

> There is the inconvenient of cabling the place up - but the stability is
> very much worth it - but I've using PowerLine adapters to ease my way
> through for a couple of years now and they've always proven more reliable
> than WiFi - but they do tend to have a bandwidth cap.

I have also used powerline adaptors in the apt, while bloated and slow
(200/4mbit is what I get out of mine on the rrul test) - they only
exhibit 90ms delay under load. I wish there was a way to get into
these to get fq_codel in there, they are conceptually a lot simpler
than wifi... but I am only aware of one open source driver for one
chipset, and otherwise these little boxes are a mystery.

http://blog.cerowrt.org