[Cerowrt-devel] OK, what's the current recommendation(s)?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 19:48:51 EDT 2016

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 4:24 PM, Valdis Kletnieks
<Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
> Short Version:  Comcast offered me 150 mbit service at a price point I
> couldn't turn down - but it's known to be more than my wndr3800 can handle.

Well, the bloat on the download can get pretty bad, but hard to
trigger in normal usage, and not horrific for low values of horrific.
Me being me I'd encourage you to fix the upload via the 3800...

... and publish your benchmark at what happens on the download.

Then upgrade to something else.

> Any recommendations for replacements?  Looking for decent support under
> OpenWRT and at least 4 wired gigabit ports (6-8 would be nice, but not
> mandatory) and 2.4/5Ghz bands.  Would be nice if it's around $100-ish, but
> willing to go to $200 or so for more features (ports/antennas/RAM/flash/CPU).

Can't recommend anything at $100 at the moment. The linksys 1200ac
comes closest. I have one running on a 125/25 connection using cake
just fine - but I can still pretty easily crash it on the wifi as of
openwrt trunk from a month back. The wifi is great while it lasts
tho....

I retain high hopes for the turris omnia, which is roughly the same
chipset, except for the wifi.

I have not tested it at these speeds but the edgerouter X has come
along pretty far. The 1.8 official firmware does fq_codel quite
nicely.

> Willing to test bleeding-edge stuff on it, as long as it has a hardware
> "unbrick me" similar to the wndr3800. (For reference, the laptop I'm on at
> the moment is running this morning's linux-next kernel and Fedora Rawhide, which
> should tell you how non-risk-adverse I am :)

The apu2 that I have arriving tomorrow holds great promise, but
equipped with msata & a tri-band ath10k card that would be around
$320. And the case only takes 2 antennas by default.

I will update the 1200 to trunk and see what happens. Will put out the
benchmark, too.

http://blog.cerowrt.org