[Cerowrt-devel] Salter's written a nice article, but missed bufferbloat all the improvements to Linux in CeroWRT

Alan Jenkins alan.christopher.jenkins at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 10:54:52 EST 2016

On 20/01/16 15:04, dpreed at reed.com wrote:

> http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/01/numbers-dont-lie-its-time-to-build-your-own-router/

Definitely a missed opportunity :), many of those nice fast connections
are unfortunately over-buffered.

I think it's interesting in its own right.  The 10kB x 100 row is
horrible, and it's not that far-fetched for modern bloated web pages.  A
new frontier for the modern speed test :).

My reflex was to ask what's actually being measured.  Is it faster with
IPv6 (no NAT)?  Would the connection tracking overhead still be
significant?  (I also hear Dave screaming about offloads, but I don't
think that's why we see (low-power) Ivy Bridge cpu brought down to only
200mbps of packet forwarding in the last row).

Stateless firewalls should work quite well for TCP, you just drop
incoming SYN.  It's connection-less UDP that breaks it.  (And often you
still don't need high-volume connection-less, but you want unreliable
datagrams and the network wasn't designed with security in mind...).