[Cerowrt-devel] trying to make sense of what switch vendors say wrt buffer bloat

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 21:36:20 EDT 2016

> On 11 Jun, 2016, at 00:45, dpreed at reed.com wrote:
>
> My thought is to use an ethernet ping while our system is loaded.  (our protocol is at the Ethernet layer, no IP stack). Anyone have an idea of the simplest way to do that?

It should be possible to write a utility and a daemon which can listen for and produce raw Ethernet frames using some unused protocol number.  It might even turn out to be quite easy.

One quick-and-dirty solution would be to bring up an IP address (or just an ARP daemon) on the target host, then use arping.

 - Jonathan Morton