[Cerowrt-devel] cake on lede

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 13:01:19 EDT 2016

Getting to a very usable lede (formerly openwrt) build is now easier than ever.

download an appropriate build from

https://downloads.lede-project.org/snapshots/targets/

I am trying to train myself away from statically having to configure
my host for "ssh 192.168.1.1", and instead look for the auto-assigned
ipv6 ula address and ssh to the that.

opkg update
opkg install babeld luci-ssl luci-app-sqm kmod-sched-cake

if you want it:

opkg install netperf

Then (if you need the gui, reboot). Me I typically edit the system
file in my editor of choice to give it a name and timezone, enable
babel, fiddle with dhcp info (like my domain name), and change the
default ip address using sed, then reboot.

I plan to wipe out my last dev wndr3800 cerowrt box today with lede.
[1] There are some major differences in firewalling and how to
configure ad-hoc mode left to sort out. And the default in lede is
bridge, rather than route, everything.

Certainly: DO NOT do a sysupgrade -n from cerowrt to lede. Wipe it all
out and start over with a sysupgrade without the -n option. I
typically take a backup with scp -r theboxname:/overlay somewherelocal
first.

I'll try to do more complete notes later.

the bug with tc being correctly patched for cake is now fixed.

root at linksys-1200ac:/etc/config# tc -s qdisc show dev eth0
qdisc cake 8009: root refcnt 9 bandwidth 9Mbit besteffort flows rtt 100.0ms raw
 Sent 16108136 bytes 10767 pkt (dropped 13, overlimits 16017 requeues 0)
 backlog 6056b 4p requeues 0
 memory used: 15420b of 450000b
 capacity estimate: 9Mbit
                 Tin 0
  thresh         9Mbit
  target         5.0ms
  interval     100.0ms
  pk_delay       6.7ms
  av_delay       5.3ms
  sp_delay       2.8ms
  pkts           10784
  bytes       16133874
  way_inds           0
  way_miss          24
  way_cols           0
  drops             13
  marks              0
  sp_flows           0
  bk_flows           1
  last_len        3028
  max_len         4542

And the newfangled triple-isolate mode can be changed at the command line.

tc qdisc change dev eth0 root cake triple-isolate

root at linksys-1200ac:/etc/config# tc -s qdisc show dev eth0
qdisc cake 8009: root refcnt 9 bandwidth 9Mbit besteffort
triple-isolate rtt 100.0ms raw
 Sent 78887894 bytes 52256 pkt (dropped 15, overlimits 78437 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
 memory used: 15420b of 450000b
 capacity estimate: 9Mbit
                 Tin 0
  thresh         9Mbit
  target         5.0ms
  interval     100.0ms
  pk_delay       6.3ms
  av_delay       5.5ms
  sp_delay        52us
  pkts           52271
  bytes       78910604
  way_inds           0
  way_miss          34
  way_cols           0
  drops             15
  marks              0
  sp_flows           0
  bk_flows           5
  last_len          42
  max_len         4542

[1] the deployment I have I hope to replace (september? october?)
after more of the fq_codel for wifi patches land and get backported.

http://blog.cerowrt.org