[Cerowrt-devel] eero gains competition in plumewifi

Maciej Soltysiak maciej at soltysiak.com
Tue Jun 21 04:43:15 EDT 2016

On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 8:16 AM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

> I sure wish I knew how they are implementing diversity routing and if
> they are bothering to pay attention to make-wifi-fast
>
> https://www.plumewifi.com/

"Plume is a cloud coordinated WiFi system that exponentially increases the
signal strength and quality of your WiFi. It monitors your WiFi activity
and balances your network load without sacrificing the performance of one
device over another. Plume utilizes multiple WiFi channels in the same home
to communicate between Plume Pods, eliminating congestion as your WiFi
demands change and increase. Our cloud algorithms figure out which band to
use for each device to ensure your devices have access to the speed they
deserve, avoiding interference along the way. Plume WiFi adapts to the
physical space you live in, your online devices, your household, and even
to your neighbor’s WiFi usage patterns (yes, their networks also impact
your environment!). It adapts real-time to your personal needs."

I'm reading this as: we setup the APs on all 3 (1,6,11) channels, have the
plumes record which channels have best radio and network parameters at a
given time; store that on their disks over the web (sorry, cloud); then
dynamically set power and perhaps other radio chip and QoS parameters to
something a la heuristics: e.g. send X type of traffic on ch11 after 6pm
Mon-Fri.

Doesn't sound like they're making wifi fast in Dave Taht sense. More like
working around the issues by multiplying channels and squeezing what they
can from the radio. That may work, who knows.

Anyway, this is what a consumer like me reads it.

Best regards,
Maciej