[Cerowrt-devel] Cross-compiling to armhf [was: beaglebone green wireless boards...]

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 19:13:46 EDT 2016

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 3:57 PM, Juliusz Chroboczek
<jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr> wrote:
>> the long slow EABI changeover that was obsoleted almost overnight by the
>> armhf work the raspian folk did, and so on.
>
> I am pretty positive that armhf predates raspbian.  Let's please give
> credit where credit is due.

I note that I *really like arm*, going back a very long ways.
http://the-edge.blogspot.com/2002/06/axioms-one-of-my-axioms-about.html
I remember telling the CTO of palm they were doomed back then... they
had started trying to differentiate models by *color* at that
point....

sure the abi and compiler "were out there" - but getting 20,000
packages converted over and widely into a popular distro and platform,
to me, was the tipping point for wider adoption of the hard float abi,
as something others could build on. I just spent a few minutes
googling for that story, but couldn't find it (what I remember was 3
guys, 3 months, hammering at getting 20,000 packages to all "just
work").

What we had before was a mess of different ABIs, and a whole bunch of
slightly incompatible arm cpu versions - all enough different to
fragment the arm ecosystem. there was no way you could trust one
binary on a different box. Back around this time (2006-2010?) it was
also unclear that arm would accellerate so far past the herd, either,
and there were a ton of other factors, of course that led to where
it's now being considered for supercomputers and looks set to start
unseating intel in many places.

And despite really liking arm, I look forward to entirely new arches
like the risc-v and mill eating its lunch one day. Things like
trustzone, the mali gpu, and other portions of onchip IP commonly
shipped with the chips suck rocks, still. Very few applications are
taking good advantage of the neon vfp code, the onboard caches are way
behind intel's, and so on...

speaking of trustzone - yea! there's a way to use it now.

https://github.com/OP-TEE

http://blog.cerowrt.org