[Cerowrt-devel] hardware from hell

Alan Jenkins alan.christopher.jenkins at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 07:27:17 EST 2016

On 04/03/2016, Dave Täht <dave at taht.net> wrote:
> I am A) still fiddling with alternate web site generators and B) just
> finished writing up (grousing) about all the hardware I just tried to
> make work.
>
> http://the-edge.taht.net/post/hardware_from_hell/
>
> I am about to tear apart the dual ethernet nuc we discussed here, again,
> swapping out everything in it to see if I can get it to work. I fear I
> fried it by trying to compile a kernel on it, or something....

Oo.  I've got an Atom NUC I managed to "brick" by running kernel
4.5-rc which crashed.  Twice in an hour, and now it's running without
problems but I can't trust it again yet.  Sigh.

This is telling you to suck eggs, but I was able to get mine back
following the bios recovery procedure.  It involves removing the
motherboard jumper.

http://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005532.html?_ga=1.101398017.1051470898.1456842695

The weird part is I only had to "reset the CMOS" (their words), and
all that means on my model is entering "visual bios" (second wince)
and reset the settings to default.

Which you're _supposed_ to be able to do using the "power button menu"
(hold down power button to power on, release when the power button
changes e.g. from blue to orange).  That did a number of different
things but nothing helpful.

Alan