[Cerowrt-devel] nuc stuff

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 12:48:28 EDT 2016

The problem I had had with this nuc is that it can't drive any of my 3
HDMI monitors properly. Still have that problem... and darn it, all I
need the thing to do is install *something*... and then I'll never use
the screen again.

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 6:01 PM, Valent Turkovic
<valent at otvorenamreza.org> wrote:
> If you are looking for absolutely most powerful device but in smaller form
> factor than NUC then check out PC Engines APU.1D, this amazing board is x86
> so it blows all other non-x86 devices away...

In general I am looking for a range of devices from low end to high.
This box does not count as
"high" (10GigE), but it looks equivalent to the turris omnia in most
respects. I like that it is x86 (for dev purposes).

> it should be similar or more
> powerful that Mikrotik CCR Cloud Routers.
>
> Software wise it can run FreeBSD, OpenWrt or Mikrotik OS.
>
> [1]
> http://www.pluscom.pl/en/pc-engines-apu-1d-3xgigabit-lan-2gb-ram-t40e-cpu-board-p2412.html
> - http://www.pcengines.ch/apu1d.htm
> [2] https://schemen.me/routeros-on-apu/
> - https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/pcengines/apu
> - https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=316913

When I had last looked at this board there was no openwrt support, and
no BQL support for the onboard ethernet.

My experience with running bigger OSes on x86 off of a USB stick has
been dismal (all praise openwrt for nearly never writing to flash)

It looks like all that has improved in the past year or so. It runs
coreboot, which makes me happy, and having two easy to access mini-pci
slots would be helpful right now.  I ordered one.

Elsewhere I'd had a mostly dismal experience with current hackerboards
(c1,c2,rpi3), ipv6, and wifi usb sticks. The nice thing about that is
I just filed bugs on all of those issues and perhaps someone else will
fix 'em.

https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/issues/177 - fixed upstream already

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/1370 - ignored

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/1371 - pretty nasty kernel
bug in the rpi3's ipv6 stack (I think it's the ethernet driver, the
rpi2 does not have this problem)

I have a bunch of usb wifi sticks that all didn't work right for
various reasons. So moving to a mini-pcie set of boxes will help.