[Cerowrt-devel] BBR congestion control algorithm for TCP in net-next

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 14:53:11 EDT 2016

BBR is pretty awesome, and it's one of the reasons why I stopped
sweating inbound rate limiting + fq_codel as much as I used to. I have
a blog entry pending on this but wasn't expecting the code to be
released before the paper was... and all I had to go on til yesterday
was Nowlan's dissertation:

http://blog.cerowrt.org/papers/bbr_thesis.pdf

which seemed closer to good than anything I'd read before, but still
wrong in a few respects, which has taken a few years to sort out. I
think reading the upcoming acm queue paper is going to be fun!

I think they have identified the right variables to probe - RTT and
bandwidth, in sequence - for modern congestion control to work much
better.

Still BBR makes a few assumptions that do not hold (or so I think) -
with wifi in the control loop, and it needs wider testing in more
circumstances than just google facing out - like on itty bitty nas's
and media servers - and especially seeing what happens when it
interacts with fq_codel and cake would be good to see. I've watched
youtube be *excellent* for 2 years now, and only had the faintest
hints as to why.

It was quite amusing that the original patchset didn't compile on 32
bit platforms.

And make no mistake - it still makes plenty of sense to apply
fq_codel-like algorithms to routers, and the stuff we just did to wifi
for fq_codel and airtime fairness. Had I thought BBR solved everything
I'd have quit years ago.

http://blog.cerowrt.org