[Cerowrt-devel] BBR congestion control algorithm for TCP in net-next

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 05:39:39 EDT 2016

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 2:06 AM, Alan Jenkins
<alan.christopher.jenkins at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17/09/16 19:53, Dave Taht wrote:
>>
>> BBR is pretty awesome, and it's one of the reasons why I stopped
>> sweating inbound rate limiting + fq_codel as much as I used to. I have
>> a blog entry pending on this but wasn't expecting the code to be
>> released before the paper was... and all I had to go on til yesterday
>> was Nowlan's dissertation:
>>
>> http://blog.cerowrt.org/papers/bbr_thesis.pdf
>

> are we sure - that's a fairly different algorithm and different expansion of
> the acronym...

Yes it is very different, but it appears to have had the germ of at
least one of the good ideas in the soon to be published BBR.

"BBR detects bufferbloat by comparing its calculated correlation to a
configurable threshold (e.g., 90%) and declaring bufferbloat whenever
the value exceeds the threshold."

"Upon detecting bufferbloat, BBR immediately sets the TCP cwnd to the
window estimate, rather than gradually reducing the sending rate as
in, for example, Proportional Rate Reduction [19]. Immediately
changing the cwnd has two advantages. 27 First, it stops packet
transmissions immediately and prevents further exacerbating the delay.
When the transmissions resume with the reduced cwnd, they should
experience shorter queuing delay.

*Second, drastic changes in sending rate should result in sharp
differences in observed RTT, increasing the signal-to-noise ratio in
the observations and improving the correlation calculation*."

I dunno, I'm just reading tea leaves here!

can't wait for the paper!

http://blog.cerowrt.org