[Cerowrt-devel] BBR congestion control algorithm for TCP innet-next

Alan Jenkins alan.christopher.jenkins at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 14:42:54 EDT 2016

On 20/09/2016, dpreed at reed.com <dpreed at reed.com> wrote:
> I constantly see the claim that >50% of transmitted data on the Internet are
> streaming TV. However, the source seems to be as hard to nail down as the
> original claim that >50% of Internet traffic was pirated music being sent
> over bittorrent.

uh, ibid.

50-60% "upstream bandwidth", 2010 and 2008 respectively.

I'm quite happy to believe the trend, at least. Do you have a
preferred assessment or even a rebuttal (back of the envelope,
whatever) for around that time?

BT for media is a real sweet spot.  Music particularly because people
_collect_, though I don't know what the timeline would look like for
music v.s. video.

Not as if the original figure was being cited as scientific gospel.

The last paper out of Netflix, they said it works best to stomp out
the isochronous behaviour and run in FTP mode as much as possible :).
(Subject to upper limits on quality and application buffers).  Even
dumb chunk downloading uses TCP; it's not isochronous in the way
that's usually used to describe RTP etc.