[Cerowrt-devel] quad core arm

Joel Wirāmu Pauling joel at aenertia.net
Sun Dec 3 15:47:29 EST 2017

Just from a Telco/Industry perspective slant.

Everything in DC has moved to SFP28 interfaces at 25Gbit as the server
port of interconnect. Everything TOR wise is now QSFP28 - 100Gbit.
Mellanox X5 cards are the current hotness, and their offload
enhancements (ASAP2 - which is sorta like DPDK on steroids) allows for
OVS flow rules programming into the card. We have a lot of customers
chomping at the bit for that feature (disclaimer I work for Nuage
Networks, and we are working on enhanced OVS to do just that) for NFV
workloads.

SFP+ 10gbit MIGHT become the target for the home Handoff, but I see a
lot of startup ISP's doing inhouse built OVS controlled SD-WAN style
deployments.

I still however can't see a coherent edge at 10gbit ecosystem. Docsis
3.1 now has 10gbit channel support, which is fine and dandy but there
is literally only the atom board I mentioned before as the only edge
device out capable of doing that right now, and I am only seing that
used in Expensive SD-WAN + NFV boxen for corporates. The Home 10gbit
plus box is still up for grabs in the market and no one is biting.