[Cerowrt-devel] DC behaviors today

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Dec 4 05:18:49 EST 2017

On Mon, 4 Dec 2017, Joel Wirāmu Pauling wrote:

> I'm not going to pretend that 1Gig isn't enough for most people. But I
> refuse to believe it's the networks equivalent of a 10A power (20A
> depending on where you live in the world) AC residential phase
> distribution circuit.

That's a good analogy. I actually believe it is, at least for the near
5-10 years.

> This isn't a question about what people need, it's more about what the
> market can deliver. 10GPON (GPON-X) and others now make it a viable
> service that can and is being deployed in residential and commercial
> access networks.

Well, you're sharing that bw with everybody else on that splitter. Sounds
to me that the service being delivered over that would instead be in the
2-3 gigabit/s range for the individual subscriber (this is what I
typically see on equivalent shared mediums, that the top speed individual
subscriptions are will be in the 20-40% of max theoretical speed the
entire solution can deliver).

> The problem is now that Retail Servicer Provider X can deliver a post
> Gigabit service... what is capable of taking it off the ONU/CMNT point
> in the home? As usual it's a follow the money question, once RSP's can
> deliver Gbit+ they will need an ecosystem in the home to feed into it,
> and right now there isn't a good technology platform that supports it;
> 10GBase-X/10GBaseT is a non-starter due to the variability in home
> wiring - arguably the 7 year leap from 100-1000mbit was easy It's mean a
> gap of 12 years and counting for the same.. it's not just the NIC's and
> CPU's in the gateways it's the connector and in-home wiring problems as
> well.

As soon as one goes above 1GE, prices increases A LOT on everything
involved. I doubt we'll see any 2.5G or higher speed equipment in wide use
in home/SME in the next 5 years.

> Blatant Plug - request :
> I'm interested to hear opinions on this as I have a talk on this very
> topic 'The long and Winding Road to 10Gbit+ in the home'
> https://linux.conf.au/ at Linuxconf in January. In particular if you
> have any home network gore/horror stories and photos you would be
> happy for me to include in my talk, please include.

I am still waiting for a decently priced 10GE switch. I can get 1GE
24port managed ones, fanless, for 100-200USD. As soon as I go 10GE, price
jumps up a lot, and I get fans. The NICs aren't widely available, even
though they're not the biggest problem. My in-house cabling can do 10GE,
but I guess I'm an outlier.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se