[Cerowrt-devel] Random thought - reactions?

Joel Wirāmu Pauling joel at aenertia.net
Fri Dec 15 17:45:35 EST 2017

Here in New Zealand ; any provider operating a 'Network of National
Significance' must hand over any encryption keys on demand to what is
our local equivalent of the NSA. This makes a very high disincentive
for anyone to provide end to end encryption by design in their access
and transport networks. I would wager the US is likely to see a
similar provision to combat this sort of approach getting commercial
backing.

Whilst I completely agree this sort of this is needed, not being able
to create commercial services off it that are user-transparent is a
big barrier. Because for this approach to work you need as many people
to opt in as possible.

-Joel