[Cerowrt-devel] solar wifi ap designs?

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Mon Jun 5 14:21:57 EDT 2017

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 2:01 PM, <dpreed at reed.com> wrote:

> It doesn't jump to mind, but a radio carrying bits near the edge probably
> won't be used near capacity most of the 24 hours it is operating. Just as
> Iridium was designed to quiesce most of its electronics on the dark side of
> the earth, extending its battery life, you can probably assume that a radio
> in a tree won't be heavily used most of the hours of a 24 hour cycle.

​Turns out that (at least in OLPC days), the signal processing in the WiFi
module dominated power consumption (relative to the radios themselves). At
the time, power consumption was of order 1 watt and the radios themselves
consuming only a fraction of that.

I don't know what the current chips/modules consume, however.

Another big consumer turns out to sometimes be ethernet chips; gigabit
nic's often take/took a watt of power.

So your mileage varies, and you cannot easily presume its one thing or the
other, but need to measure (which we did extensively for OLPC, to get its
power consumption down to where it is) and fix lots of software.

Linux itself is pretty decent for power management these days: but all it
takes is a single chip/subsystem or stupid applications to blow that up.
So the whole bus structure has to be understood and properly done, and some
technologies are pretty hopeless.

The details matter.  Unfortunately, home routers have generally been plug
in devices, and the vendors haven't paid much attention.
                                                          - Jim

​