[Cerowrt-devel] solar wifi ap designs?

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 17:09:30 EDT 2017

On 06/13/2017 01:25 PM, Dave Taht wrote:
> If you run the numbers for Nicaragua, you'll find that the solar
> coverage is WAY better year round. (share the spreadsheet?) The
> problem is the rainy season from late august through november, and I
> was aiming for 3 days of battery life, with only 20% sun over those
> days.

In general is better but I would not call it WAY better.  I looked up
Harmonia and used Cárdenas, Nicaragua as my data point.

The average is a pretty solid 5-6 hours across the year but the rainy
season has a large effect.  20% matches the 3-day in Oct which looks
like it's the weakest month overall, but the 3-day minimum is in Aug @
13%.  When you do the math it actually ends up being worse that the
minimum in Los Gatos.  Los Gatos had a minimum of 2.4 hours where as
Cárdenas nets out at 2 hours.

Here's the spreadsheet.  'Lowest' and 'Highest' are Los Gatos and
'Nicaragua' is Cárdenas.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1p6PYBgcTtLR9cwWlVpzRiIt4t2RcjoYVC4_K6WxLmso/edit?usp=sharing

> I might give wind a try, also.

Wind and solar are great complements to each other.  In general one is
good when the other is bad.

> I am heading down there next week or the one following to explore the
> possibilities (and get some surfing in!).

Nice.  Can't go wrong with some good beach time.

> Now that my new office space is coming along, I have space and tools
> (cnc machine, etc), to try and build something that would work. I'd
> always intended local manufacture of the edison batteries.....

Cool.  I'm interested in seeing what you come up with.  Maybe you can do
a kickstarter to build a larger quantity of them. :)

--
Richard A. Smith