[Cerowrt-devel] dnsmasq CVEs

dpreed at reed.com dpreed at reed.com
Mon Oct 9 14:37:07 EDT 2017

Sooner or later it dawns on all security professionals that the idea of a "provably secure system" is a pipedream. Same with systems designers working on fault tolerance who are tasked with making their systems "NonStop" as the Tandem claim used to go.

What we see here in most of the examples is a failure of design, especially of modularity.

Modularity is there to tame complexity, that's really its only reason to exist.

One thing that helps enforce modularity is end-to-end encryption, though there are other such concepts. The baseband processor shouldn't have the encryption keys - it has no "need to know".

The bigger problem is that those who design these "modules" don't understand the way to make systems containing them modular. A module, for example, performs a function that can be described abstractly, without knowing what is inside it. And it should hide information about "how" and "what" it does to the largest extent possible (Parnas' Information Hiding Principle). There are other time-tested notions of modular design that help.

But what we see often are what we used to describe in software as "taking the listing and breaking it into files by tearing on page boundaries".  The tendency is toward throwing a grab bag of functions on a chip that have no consistent and modular functionality. (e.g. the so-called "chipsets" that accompany new Intel CPU releases).

I don't know what can be done, other than to design systems that have modular structure where we can.
The one remaining thing we can do is limit the bad things that can happen in a design, by compartmentalizing failure and security risk using fairly strong and redundant approaches. Defense in depth. Don't assume that your firewall will prevent errors from creeping in.