[Cerowrt-devel] closing up my make-wifi-fast lab

David P. Reed dpreed at deepplum.com
Sat Aug 25 16:04:34 EDT 2018

WiFi is a bit harder than IP. But you know that.

I truly believe that we need to fix the phy/waveform/modulation space to really scale up open wireless networking capability. LBT is the basic bug in WiFi, and it is at that layer, melow the MAC.

I have tried for 20 years now to find a way to begin work at that project, by the way. There is also no major donor anywhere to be found for that work. Instead, any funds that seem to be appearing get attacked and sucked into projects that miss the point, being controlled by folks who oppose openness (e.g. WISPs wanting exclusive ownership of a market, such as so called SuperWiFi or whitespaces). I did once come close to a useful award when I was at MIT Media Lab, from NSF. But after the award, the funding was cut by 90%, leaving just enough to support a Master's thesis on co-channel sharing, using two 1st Gen USRPs. Using my own funds, spare time, and bubblegum and baling wire, I've slowly begun work on extra wideband FPGA based sounding-centric sharing in the 10 GHz Ham band. (500 MHz wide modulation), where I can self certify multiple stations in a network.

But the point is, I've failed, because there is less than zero support. There is active opposition, on top of cluelessness.

Paul Baran tried in 1993 to push forward a similar agenda, famously. 99% of his concepts died. Thanks to Apple, and lots of others, we got WiFi, barely. Industry hated that, and vow never to let that ever happen again.

So Dave, I salute you and Toke and the others. I salute Tim Shepard, who also moved the ball in his PhD thesis, only to hit the same wall of opposition.

It's so sad. We get shit like the "Obama band" proposed by PCAST, and are told to be thankful.

UWB failed miserably, too.

My advice to any young smart innovator: don't touch wireless unless you are working for an incumbent. Expect the incumbents and governments to close and destroy wireless innovation.

Really. You will be in a world of hurt, and NO ONE will support anything. Not even VCs.

Very sorry to say this. I had hoped Make WiFi Fast would have gone somewhere. I mourn its passing.