[Cerowrt-devel] anyone fiddlng with these?

Aaron Wood woody77 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 11:03:53 EST 2018

"securely sending messages to the web" -> "Sending telemetry data to my
cloud-based data processing pipeline".

Both MQTT (over TLS) and HTTPS are both used heavily for sending data
upstream.  Some companies in this space are thinking about security,
others... less so.

In general, the cloud providers for MQTT (Google Cloud IoT Core, AWS Cloud
IoT, etc) are taking it very seriously.  The device platform suppliers are
starting to come around to the notion that having private keys in the
hardware is a ReallyGoodThing(tm).  Companies like Maxim are making
hardware keys for making it easier to build devices that can do stronger
authentication to the cloud systems that they talk to:
http://www.microchip.com/design-centers/security-ics/cryptoauthentication/cloud-authentication/google-iot-core-atecc608a

My own view, having been around industrial automation, building controls,
and interactive home security for >20 years is that the residential market
is a small slice of IoT.  Industrial and commercial uses are much, much
larger (and have a longer history, it just hasn't been called IoT).

(off soapbox)