[Cerowrt-devel] KASLR: Do we have to worry about other arches than x86?

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 08:48:06 EST 2018

> On 4 Jan, 2018, at 3:38 pm, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I lay awake last night trying to figure out what the impact of these
> bugs would be on the market. What I think will happen is everybody's
> stock is going to go up as there is a mad rush to replace now 10-30%
> slower hardware just to meet existing loads.

I think *AMD's* stock is going to go up a lot more than Intel's, because they have pretty good server/workstation hardware now, and no vulnerability to the most serious variants of this attack (which means no performance impact from mitigation).  Apparently there are also mitigations for Spectre v1 and v2 which have minimal performance impact; Meltdown is the one which has a big performance cost to deal with.

Probably some ARM and PowerPC server vendors could get a boost too, but only after their exposure to these attacks has been properly assessed.

 - Jonathan Morton