[Cerowrt-devel] aarch64 exploit POC

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 10:49:29 EST 2018

On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 11:03 AM, dpreed at deepplum.com
<dpreed at deepplum.com> wrote:
> Even the Intel meltdown cannot reach between VMs that use hardware virtual memory.

mmm... let me quote a something in a sec. My heads spins when vms are
inside of vms.

> Relax, Dave.

I did:

https://scontent.fsjo2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/26793638_138885946783309_1475552364_n.jpg?oh=692de1a97ec9846dff12fe4a9656d8fc&oe=5A54B3ED

(not sure if that requires perms to see) I feel much better today.

> The cloud now mostly uses hardware VMs. AWS old Xen instances, and containers are subject to bad meltdown  cloud attacks across containers.

I am still waiting for official word and reboots from linode as to
what they will be doing. I think we're still on a mix of xen and kvm
substrates and have no insight into the underlying hardware either.

Can I get a discount for running stuff I don't care about on obsolete
hardware? The 5 dollar insecurity special? For test builds, having a
16 way xeon available for cheap would be helpful. Oh, wait, snapon
looks like that already...

> Sad about ARM, but ARM servers are pretty rare at this time.
>
> Attacking a PC to expose kernel data via Meltdown is fixed in Linux now.

For a definition of now that includes having a kernel that supports it.

>And a victim domain has to execute attacker chosen code and data to be Spectre vulnerable. So avoid running things as root or letting viruses run in protected domains.
>
> It helps to try to figure out exactly what exploits can do. Broad generalities are insufficient.
>
> It really bugs me that compiler writers are thinking that they are the solution.

Well, inside a protected domain (like the kernel) where you can
control compilation options completely, does help.

> It's a lot easier to fix Spectre in microcode, and Meltdown in the OS paging maps.

Concur, but i am worried about the interrupt code still living in KPTI
userspace.

One of the more insightful messages on lkml (cc'd netdev) is this one from:

- https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10147427/

"Reptolines alone are leaving a whole set of stuff unfixed: register
hygiene still missing, bios/firmware calls still require ibrs, all asm
has to be audited by hand as there's no sure asm scanner I know of
(grep can go somewhere though) and the gcc dependency isn't very
flexible to begin with, and they don't help with lfence/mfence across
bound checks, they still require IBPB and stuff_RSB() to avoid
guest/user mode against guest/user spectre variant#2 attacks."

"
"

CEO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com