[Cerowrt-devel] spacebee

Christopher Robin pheoni at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 16:29:37 EDT 2018

Now I'm not defending the FCC thinking it has global launch control, but
I've actually done some academic reading on space debris and usable orbits.
The experts in the field have shown concern for how to handle the growth of
space traffic for decades, and not just in GEO space. Someone "going rogue"
could have large scale impacts. This is different than flying planes or
setting up a new radio tower without following the "rules of the road".
Space also has the additional factors that:

1) there is currently no way (realistic) to clean up after an event in
space
2) any collision events in space tend to cascade into a much larger problem

There are some awesome technologies on the horizon, and I want to see them
come about. But unlike terrestrial radio, fixing a mistake isn't currently
feasible for small scale companies. Until that changes, we really need an
independent, international organization that will verify that these small
startups didn't miss something in their planning. Personally I'd rather be
stuck with sub-par terrestrial signals than increasing risk to GPS &
weather imaging.