[Cerowrt-devel] spacebee

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Tue Mar 13 13:03:41 EDT 2018

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 12:52 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

> A couple things on the spacebee.
>
> 0) I LOVE the concept. Of late (due to my boat) I'd been digging into
> the evolution of AIS repeaters, and that insanely primitive protocol,
> and the hacks to make that scale over two channels of VHF up into
> orbit.
>
> 1) The costs of launching cubesats has dropped dramatically. I believe
> this particular launch cost about $.5m per 1u device. (I was paying
> attention due to my interest in Planetary Resources' work. Their 6u
> arkyd-3 spacecraft was in this payload and is functioning nominally.)
>
> Spacebee - Having a payload 1/4th the size of a cubesat *work* and be
> useable! is a major advance. And is 1/4th the space junk. Worrying
> about something smaller than baseball hitting anything strikes me as
> control freakery at the FCC.
> ​​

​Something that size, hitting at thousands of miles/hour, will destroy what
it hits.

Size, until the object gets really small, really doesn't matter.

> 2) Although the FCC denied the application based on having inadaquate
> radar reflectivity, according to their standards, the article states:
>
> "Websites dedicated to tracking operational satellites show the
> SpaceBees in orbits virtually identical to those specified in Swarm’s
> application." Ground stations can only get better.
>
> 3) most (all?) 1u spacecraft have no maneuvering capability and half
> of cubesats tend to fail quickly, so there will be an increasing
> amount of space junk in low orbits regardless. But there's nothing to
> explode on board ('cept maybe a battery?), and probably the biggest
> source of space junk has been explosions. Yes, there have been
> collisions, but the smaller the device, the smaller the chance of
> collision.

​Objects in low earth orbits don't last very long; they decay quickly
due to drag.

So low earth orbit just doesn't have much to hit in the first place, and
a satellite there doesn't live very long either.

Higher orbits are much more problematic.

> 4) Flat out bypassing a staid and boring agency, getting the thing
> launched, and proving the concept is just so american! but unless the
> regulations are reformed I could certainly see more and more sats
> created outside the USA. ITAR is a real PITA, and now testing,
> development, and regulation now dominate over launch costs.

​Read the wikipedia article, and the analysis of the Chinese collision.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_satellite_collision

The Kesseler syndrome is a real problem.​

> 5) I'd misread the article, and interpreted part of the denial based
> on some longstanding issues they've had with not allowing spread
> spectrum radio in orbit.
>
> I'd love to see an independent, fast-moving, external and
> international group just start ignoring the FCC on certain matters, or
> acting in concert to help push small sats forward, faster.

​Again, there are limitations on how small an object they can track via
radar.
                                     - Jim​