[Cerowrt-devel] security guidelines for home routers

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Mon Nov 26 16:05:05 EST 2018

Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> writes:

> Sigh... I have zip, zero problem, if cable folk *leased* you a modem,
> managed it, and then provided a new one when their support costs got
> too great. It would do wonders for the entire industry if they simply
> gave away new docsis 3 or 3.1 modems to every one still running an
> earlier one....

FWIW, this model is roughly what is usually happening in Denmark for DSL
(dunno about cable, but may be similar). I've had multiple occasions
where I've been talking to support about an unrelated issue, and they
noticed I had an ancient router and went "wait, let me send you a new
one". Free of charge, and you just return the old one.

(In all cases the router has just been an expensive DSL model in bridge
mode to my OpenWrt router, but still, nice practice...)

-Toke