[Cerowrt-devel] security guidelines for home routers

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue Nov 27 06:07:51 EST 2018

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018, David P. Reed wrote:

> Personally, I think it's time to move "security" out of the military
> sector of government..

I think we need some kind of international cooperation body that develops
guidelines that vendors can then slap their "approved by"-sticker on the
box by complying to these guidelines. Problem here is that 99% of the
population do not care about this, they just want to get their network
running. That's why apple succeeds with their products, because they sell
a "this is secure and works"-product, even if this security means you have
to go to an authorized apple store to get your components replaced
(because they're cryptographically paired for security reasons). It's
possibly also that for most of Apples customers, this level of security is
too high. People would rather have their pictures unencrypted and
extractable without password from the device, compared to them being lost
because the device was damanged otherwise broken.

So we need to come up with a security regime that makes sense for the most
amount of people, and then try to still cater to the ones who want to do
more/less.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se