[Cerowrt-devel] Wicked OT: 240.0.0.0/4 netblock

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 14:36:33 EDT 2018

Sorry for distracting you from important things, but I have a question for people more knowledgeable about routing than I am...

There's a person on the OpenWrt forum who is asking about using the 240.0.0.0/4 netblock for some (undefined) purpose. (If you're terminally curious, or need another reason to yell at the monitor, you could look at: https://forum.openwrt.org/t/private-network-using-240-0-0-0-4-netblock/23543/5)

MY QUESTION: I have always believed that this netblock is not routable. Is this true? (A simple yes/no answer would be sufficient.)

Many thanks!

Rich

PS I've seen the IANA advice that those addresses should not be used. (See the final note on the thread.) I'm more interested in whether it would ever work in practice: don't most upstreams block that address?

PPS for all you non-Vermonters, "wicked" in this context means "extremely", often in an interesting way